23 July 2009

"A Good Servant of Christ Jesus"... part 2

Do not neglect the spiritual gift you received through the prophecy spoken over you when the elders of the church laid their hands on you. Give your complete attention to these matters. Throw yourself into your task so that everyone will see your progress. Keep a close watch on how you live and your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you. (1 Timothy 4:14-16)

This passage in 1 Timothy really stood out to me as my husband and I venture into the world of ministry. He grew up in a Christian home, but did not really come into a relationship with the Lord until shortly after I did 5 1/2 years ago. In this time, we have taken on roles in the church (he on the worship team singing, and I was the events coordinator for mid 2007-2008)... but ministry work is still very new to us, and I think we are both a bit apprehensive.

Our current pastor asked us to host an Alpha lifegroup in our home on WSMR (30 miles outside of Las Cruces), and we immediately accepted the challenge. We did not really need to discuss or think about it.... I think we both knew immediately that this was something that the Lord wanted us to do- to reach out to the lost military stationed at our post. We will be presenting the foundations of our Christina beliefs, in an atmosphere without pressure, to those who are seeking spiritual answers. And we know that there is potential for a continued group meeting in our homes after the course is over for those who join the faith. Although we are hosting, and not leading, the Alpha course... we would most likely be in the leadership role for whatever the group decides to continue into.

I wish that I could remember all the things that were spoken over me (as the passage advises), but I do have a pretty good idea of some of the spiritual giftings that God has placed in me. And I know he wants to use these giftings in me and through me to reach and help others around me. And I have to admit that this is a bit scary. But I know from experience that when the Lord calls us, and we step out in obedience, He will build both our faith and our confidence.

I like what Paul says here...

Throw yourself into your task so that everyone will see your progress. Keep a close watch on how you live and your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you.

It is a good reminder that we need to be doing what God is calling us to.... and to focus on living the way He wants us to.... because the consequences of not doing it is not just that we mess up our own lives. No, Paul makes it quite clear that what we do affects those around us as well.

The main focus the the sermon yesterday at church was... "It's not about me!" We all tend to get so self focused sometimes.... and when we are only thinking about ourselves, we are leaving God out of it... thus we are unable to hear Him or really work for Him in His Kingdom. And I think that ultimately, even when we are not focusing on ourselves, but on God and serving Him... and things are going well in our lives because our focus is inward... it is still amazing to recognize that it is not about us. Even though we are getting blessed, our blessings are a testimony to reach others for God.

It is amazing how He works!

Lord God, I want to be a good servant of Christ Jesus. Thank you that you have saved me, pulled me up from the muck I lived in for so long, and cleansed me for your glory. Work through me and my husband as we seek to reach out to the lost. Help us keep our focus on you Lord, and not on our own troubles and anxieties. Help us to always remember that our lives are a living testimony that can determine not only our walk with you, but influence the walk of others as well. Please soften the hearts of those you will call to our Alpha group, and give us strength and courage to continue to take each new step as you call us into ministry work for the Kingdom of God. I love you. Amen.

No comments:

April 2005

April 2005
Justin, Kim, Nikki, & Tricia

October 2011

October 2011