04 October 2008

Here We Go Again

Sunday number five.... church number four.

This time, we opened up the phone book to take a cruise along its entries for local Las Cruces churches. Paul found one he was interested in trying, but I decided to take a look also. I turned to the nondenominational section and one jumped out at me (though not the one Paul had chosen). Its name was just mentioned to me last night in fact.... but the person who was talking about it actually said their church was near this one. But still, the name was familiar.

Then I checked out the ad located at the top of the page, and the words "incredible worship" screamed from the pages. This is a very important factor for my husband and I, and the main reason we didn't love last week's church.

I turned to it's website, and this church says it's best known for it's "incredible Praise and Worship Music and a dynamic Youth and Children’s Ministry". There is also a lot of talk about "relationship, not religion.... real worship, real people.....spirit filled, praying, praising power-packed church that believes the Bible from cover to cover".... and programs for the whole family.

Again, I see a church that looks great on paper, but what will we find when we get there? Each week I get all excited about what I read, but then feel a bit let down afterwards. And each week gets a little worse as our wait continues. In some ways, it almost feels foolish to get all excited and put my hope in something only to have it deflated week after week.

But tonight I made a realization and a decision. It's ok to get excited about what I read. Afterall, how silly would it be to walk into a church, hoping to find my fit, without being even the least bit excited. Shouldn't we all be excited at the opportunity to meet with the Lord each Sunday morning? That was my realization.

And here's my decision.... I am going to continue to walk into each church we visit with an open heart and mind, seeking the Lord. And if this is not the right church for us, I will not be disappointed or feel foolish for my excitement. Instead, I will choose to look forward to the next opportunity the Lord gives me to be excited about a another possibility. I know my fit is out there somewhere, and God will help me find it.

Lord Jesus, you know our hearts and our desires, and I ask you to help us in this process of finding the right church home for us. Guide us and lead us in the direction we should go, and please make it completely clear to us when we are (or are not) in the place you want us to be. Thank you for working in our lives. I love you. Amen.

No comments:

April 2005

April 2005
Justin, Kim, Nikki, & Tricia

October 2011

October 2011