08 August 2008

17 States in 13 Days

Philippians 3:13b-14
...but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.

I read the entire book of Philippians today (not a large book), and this verse kinda jumped out at me. I know that Paul is really referring to the race of our life on earth... our pursuit of Jesus, and he is talking about the day in which we finish that race here on earth and join our Lord Jesus in Heaven. But my mind has been on other things these days as we are preparing for our trip towards New Mexico, so this verse spoke a bit differently to me today.

It is hard to leave Virginia. This has been my entire Christian life..... here among wonderful people. A big part of my heart does not want to leave. There are a few people in particular that I do not want to leave. It hurts just to think about it. But the reality is that in 13 days, Virginia will be my past. It may be my future again (in three or so years), but as of 21 Aug 2008, it will be my past. I can still stay connected with people via internet and telephone, but the physical interaction will all be memories.

One chapter of my life is coming to a close, and in a way it feels like we are on a race towards the next chapter.... one where God has promised us great things. I know I will not "forget" the past, but I think the point here is not necessarily to forget it, but to stop focusing on it so much because it is the past. Our focus should be on what is ahead, particularly knowing we are following God's will for our lives and are moving along the path He has placed us on.

My daughters are having a very hard time with this. I am not sure they see that God is directing our path and He has a wonderful plan for them while in New Mexico. All they can see right now is that they are leaving their friends. Their focus is remaining on the past. But that's understandable... they are only 10 and 14. But I realize that if I want them to be able to look ahead and focus on this race before us, then I, too, must do the same. If they are not seeing this modeled in their parents, then they are only words that do not really mean anything. And I want them to realize that God does have great prizes in store for all of us as we obey his calling.

So I need to focus on what is ahead of me. This can be an overwhelming task because sometimes I have a bad habit of trying to look too far ahead. I get too caught up in all the details involved in too many things. The unfortunate side effect of that is I often miss the opportunity to experience what is in today. I might miss the joy that is right in front of me because I am too involved in my thoughts of "down the road".

Paul and I have planned a wonderful trip to take us from Virginia to New Mexico. If we were to drive straight there, it should take us 2025 miles through 6 states. But instead, we have decided to take "the scenic route" and visit some family and friends we may not see again for three years. We also enjoy a hobby called geocaching (where we find hidden items in public places using a GPS), and our long term goal is to get each of the states on our map to turn red (by logging a cache in that state). So we have added about 300 extra miles to our trip just to add in a few extra states. When we finally reach New Mexico, we will have traveled through 17 states in 13 days, adding 9 new states to our map (instead of 4) and totaling about 3100 miles. I don't want to miss out on any of the joy God wants to give us on this journey because I am focusing too much on the past or the future.

One of my husband's favorite verses is in Philippians. He even has it printed on a clear lable sticker inside his windshield where he can see it as he drives.

Philippians 4:6
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

But it gets even better in verse 7....
Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will gaurd your hearts and minds as you live for Christ Jesus.

I am not sure that we can experience God's peace if we are living in the past. I know we can't if we are fretting over the future. We need God's peace to run our race and stay focused on Jesus. I want God's peace in my life.

Although the ultimate goal and ending of our race is our heavenly reward of eternal life with Jesus, I do not think this is the only prize that God has in store for us. I don't think that life is one huge marathon with a prize at the end. I think it is more like a series of races... a number of opportunities to press on towards Jesus. At the end of each race, we advance onto the next, slightly more challenging race. Only God knows which race is our final one.... so we should never give up thinking this one is the last. And living in the past is a form of giving up. We also cannot be focused on the race two or three jumps ahead of us. We have to be focused on the one directly before us.

I like how the Message Bible states (the verse at the top)

.... but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward-- to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us.

I have not ever read this verse in this version before today, but I am in complete amazement at its words. This verse directly states what my goal has been this whole past 15 months.... I'm off and running (towards healing), and I'm not turning back. I have made decisions based on the fact that I do not want to turn back. I want to stay focused on my goal. I want to be healed and complete in Jesus. And I want everything that God has for me!

Lord Jesus, I love you and I want more of you in my life. I am so grateful that you have set me off on this race towards you. Help me remember that I am off and running.... and I'm not turning back! Help me not be sidetracked by thoughts of future races nor hindered by the ruts of the past. Help me see you are the finish-line on every race of life. I praise your Holy name, Jesus! Amen.

No comments:

April 2005

April 2005
Justin, Kim, Nikki, & Tricia

October 2011

October 2011