14 August 2008

When Right Seems Wrong and Wrong Seems Right

Have you ever noticed that as you develop a habit of regularly reading God's word, his word seems to follow what's going on in your life? As I stated in an earlier blog, I have been trying to develop a routine of reading my Bible on a regular basis. Now that I am in the epistles, they are going rather quickly. Many of them I have never read before, but I am finding parallels into my life as I open my Bible and start reading several times a week.

Earlier today, after dropping my dear friend off at the airport, I started thinking about a situation that I'm going through in my life, and I was thinking about how a choice I made has affected another. I began to wonder if maybe I hadn't handled it in the right way. Maybe I could have done things better... or maybe I should have done something differently. I believe in my heart that I am trying to do what is best for me and my healing while following what God has asked me to do. I recognize that sometimes by choosing to do something for ourselves, it will hurt another (even though we really don't want that other person to be hurt). But does that make it wrong?

I started thinking about how many times we choose to do something that seems so wrong, but in reality it is such the right thing to do. Maybe it's the world telling us it's wrong..... or society, or our flesh. And then I started to think about all the things we know are wrong to do.... worldly, flesh driven choices we make because it feels soooo good. I couldn't help but think to myself, "boy this world is screwed up!"

I came home, and opened up my Bible to where I left off.... and I read this passage.

Colossians 2:20-23
You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep following the rules of the world, such as, "Don't handle! Don't taste! Don't touch!"? Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person's evil desires.
.
This is at the end of Colossians 2, and at the beginning of 3 Paul begins to talk about how we live a new life in Christ.... that we need to "put to death the sinful, earthly things of this world". Then he goes on to list all the sinful things we should avoid and get rid of.
.
But I'm looking at this verse above and thinking about how even though we are freed from this stuff, it still follows us around. We are still listening to it... we are letting it affect us even when we should know better. These rules of the world are part of what seems right when really it isn't.
.
If I back up a little to an earlier passage in Colossians 2, it says this:
.
Colossians 2:6-10
And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.
.
Don't let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.
.
I like how it says to let your roots grow down into him. It is a good reminder that we need to be planted (firm) in Christ. I know that is where I need to be. And when our lives are built on him, our faith will grow strong. I need to remember that when I am doubting myself, I need to return to Jesus, letting my roots grow down into him. When my choices seem wrong to me, I need to turn to Him for that reassurance that I am doing the right thing when He has asked me to do it. And I also know that when my life is built on Him, He will give me the strength to turn away from the fleshly, worldly wrongs that feel so right.
.
Lord Jesus, thank you that my life is built on you. Help me stay focused on you, letting my roots grow down into you. Lord, increase my faith so I will overflow with thankfulness for everything you are doing in my life. I love you. Amen.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

BEautiful post. Not sure how I ended up here, but glad I did! Love your cakes. I bake & decorate cakes, too, but yours are outstanding!

blessings,
Vicki

April 2005

April 2005
Justin, Kim, Nikki, & Tricia

October 2011

October 2011