04 August 2008

The Unseen World

Do you ever wish that you could just put on a pair of special glasses that would allow you to see what is going on in the spiritual realm around you? I do. Although this thought is so tempting, maybe I would be afraid of what I'd see if I really had that chance. I don't know.

But I do know that the Bible tells us about this world..... where there is spiritual warfare battling all around us; angels vs demons, good vs evil. This is a world that so many of us are completely oblivious to. This is a world I do not think my mother believes in. The New Age Movement has convinced way too many people that evil does not exist. Read a "Course in Miracles" (New Age posing as Christian teaching endorsed by Oprah), and it will tell you flat out that evil only exists in the minds of those who believe it exists. Bottom line, it isn't really there, it is only a figment of your imagination, created by perceptions in your illusional world (not reality).

But the word of God says differently.... The Lord reminded me of this in my reading this morning:

Ephesians 2:2 (NLT)
You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil--commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God.


I believe in this world.... I have seen evil at work around me. I have felt the attacks of the enemy when I am obeying God's direction and moving forward towards the Lord. When I feel those attacks coming at me, I always remind myself that I must be doing something right! But this is an unseen world.

I remember when I became a Christian four and a half years ago, I thought it sounded so kooky to talk about such things.... especially to unbelievers. It does sound crazy when you don't understand it. I thought people would think I was nuts for talking about such things. But in the last four years, I have discovered one undeniable truth. The closer you come to God on your walk with Him, the crazier you sound to the world. People living in the world think we are nuts. But I have also realized that the closer I get to God, the less I care what people think of me. They can think I'm completely wacko, but that doesn't negate the fact that these are real truths.

I bought a book on spiritual warfare several weeks ago, and the author talked about three costly errors (I'm only going to talk about one) that people make when it comes to their awareness or thoughts on the subject of spiritual warfare. The first is a denial of the existence of evil spirits and the spiritual world in general. She states that although 70% of people (in a recent survey) claimed to believe in Satan, many "see him and his demons like Santa Claus and his elves-- mere figments of a childish imagination", not realizing that much of the evil around us is the work of Satan and his minions. She states in her book that, "The wickedness of the visable world is influenced, fueled, and powered by the spiritual underworld, which is populated by Satan and other fallen spirit beings." (A Divine Revelation of Spiritual Warfare by Mary K. Baxter)

Spiritual underworld..... this sounds like the verse in Ephesians I quoted above.... "commander of the powers in the unseen world". I know she is writing this book to believers. She wants to wake people up to realize the battle they are in. But I can't help but think about all of the nonbelievers in the world who don't believe in evil. Satan often doesn't even have to do much work in their lives.... they are easy targets!

Ephesians 2:3a says:
All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature.

Am I saying that all nonbelievers are walking around trying to do evil, mean and horrible things? No. I was an unbeliever for almost 30 years, and I was a "good" person. I had a good heart and always tried to do the right thing. I had honorable morals and ethics that ruled my life. I tried not to be mean spirited, and I wanted to avoid anything that seemed wrong or evil. But here is where it gets tricky.....

I did not believe that premarital sex was wrong. I did not believe living together before marraige was wrong. I did not believe homosexuality was wrong. Drinking and partying was fun, and who cares as long as you are responsible (at home, not driving, etc.). I couldn't get enough of the sleezy evening soap dramas, crime shows, and Lifetime movies. Worldly entertainment (music, movies, sitcome, dramas) was a huge part of my life.

These are all our worldly cultural things that we can be involved in with no feelings of guilt because our society teaches us there is nothing wrong with it. But this is exactly what Paul is writing about in Ephesians. These are not of God. To be involved deeply in these activities is obeying the devil's spirit at work in our hearts because we are refusing to obey God.

The devil's deceptions are so deep and controlling that it is dangerous. Then I think about the New Age Movement.... here Satan has really done a number on people because he has them convinced they are following God. They are too blinded by his deception to see they are really following the devil, not God. He wants them convinced there is no evil or evil forces because then he can receive all of their worship (that they think is going to God, but isn't). Satan knows if they knew the truth, then he could not masquerade as the "one true God".

Maybe I don't really want those special glasses for myself. I already believe.... that is what faith is; believing in something you can't see. But maybe it would be nice to be able to put those glasses on the eyes of someone who is living a life in the complete deception of the enemy.... to remove the blindness and open their eyes to see the truth. But these glasses don't exist.... there is no such thing. Only God Himself can do that!

Father God, you are a mighty, powerful God! I thank you and praise you that you have removed my blinders and opened my eyes to see You. I praise You and give You the glory that Satan is no longer the controlling spirit in my heart. Lord, I ask that you would open the eyes of those trapped in the devil's lies. Help them to see that they are worshipping the wrong things when their focus is not really on You. Help them see who You really are and build their faith in You just as You have done in me. I love you Lord Jesus! Amen.

No comments:

April 2005

April 2005
Justin, Kim, Nikki, & Tricia

October 2011

October 2011